August has been an interesting month so far because I think my brain knew I was heading back to school and it suddenly wanted to read all the books in the world. In the first two weeks of August, I finished a total of 6 books. By the time I finished all those books, I was exhausted and found myself in a reading induced reading slump. You know the kind where you burn yourself out from reading too much? (Who knew those existed?)
My doctor suggest that I should stop reading, but of course that didn’t happen and instead decided to pace myself with any books I read after. By the end of the month I read a total of 9 books. That’s a new record for me. I also have a new personal record for book hauls. August brought me a massive book haul… okay half of the books were for school, but they still count!
– Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith (2/5)
– Slammed by Colleen Hoover (5/5)
– Gabi, a Girl in Pieces by Isabel Quintero (3.5/5)
– Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass by Meg Medina (4/5)
– The Invoice by Jonas Karlsson (3/5)
– Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover (4/5)
– Girl in Pieces by Kathleen Glasgow (ARC) (5/5)
– Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella (3/5)
– Saga Volume 6 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples (4/5)
(I did better this month at keeping up with my reviews… yay???)
As I mentioned at the beginning of this post I also had an overwhelming book haul this month. Yes, half of those books are for school but a good portion of them were also free! I don’t know about you, but I like free books every once in a while.
This month I got a couple of ARCs including: Girl in Pieces by Kathleen Glasgow, Weregirl by C.D. Bell, and A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess. So far I’ve read one.
I also received The Haters by Jesse Andrews and We Were Liars by E. Lockhart from an Instagram giveaway hosted by Benjibooks, and I also got a neat ice cream pen. (Do people still say “neat”?)
I’m also a member of Blogging for Books where I got The Invoice and a really fun coloring book, Pop Manga Coloring Book. Both of which have reviews up. (Update: Today I got June by Miranda Beverly-Whittemore)
Fun Book Haul
– Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover
– This Girl by Colleen Hoover
– It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover
– Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult
– Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult
– Before We Were Stranges by Renee Carlino
– Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh
– Saga Volume 6 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
School Book Haul
– No Telephone to Heaven by Michelle Cliff
– Lucy by Jamaica Kincaid
– The Women of Brewster Place by Gloria Naylor
– Feminism is for Everybody by Bell Hooks
– The Farming of Bones by Edwidge Danticat
– Brown Girl, Brownstones by Paule Marshall
Yup, August was a good month for books and reading.